Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 1 hour 10 mins
Total time: 1 hour 20 mins
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups dry lentils
- 8 cups water
- 1/2 cup spinach, rinsed and thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, carrots, and celery; cook and stir until onion is tender.
- Stir in garlic, bay leaf, oregano, and basil; cook for 2 minutes. Stir in lentils; add water and tomatoes. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for at least 1 hour.
- When ready to serve, remove bay leaf; stir in spinach, and cook until it wilts.
- Stir in vinegar, and season to taste with salt, pepper and more vinegar if desired
Serving size: 1 Calories: 307 Fat: 14.5g Saturated fat: 2g Carbohydrates: 36g Sugar: 2g Sodium: 783mg Fiber: 3g Protein: 12g Cholesterol: 0mg
Nutritional values are estimations, not exact values