Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 45 mins
Total time: 55 mins
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, about 3 large ones
- 1/4 cup olive or other vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1-2 Tbsp spice or spice combination of your choice: chipotle powder, smoked paprika, Chinese five-spice, cajun seasoning
- Preheat oven to 450ºF (230ºC). (For more crispiness, preheat your oven to 500ºF.)
- Cut off the ends of the sweet potatoes. Then cut the potatoes in half lengthwise; then each half into wedges. Try to cut the wedges the same size so they cook evenly.
- Put the sweet potatoes into a large bowl and add the oil. Mix well to combine. Sprinkle with salt, sugar and spices of your choice. Use your hands to mix well, so all pieces are coated with oil and spices.
- Spread the sweet potatoes out in a single layer on a baking sheet; the oil they are coated with should keep them from sticking to the pan. If you are trying to cut fat, reduce the oil to 2 Tbsp and use a non-stick coating on the baking sheet. (Note: We recommend putting them on a wire cooling rack on top of a baking sheet, so that the oven air circulates around the sweet potato pieces and you don’t have to turn them in the next step. Or try preheating the baking sheet in the oven as it heats up, to help the fries get crisp.)
- Bake for a total of 25 to 30 minutes. After the first 15 minutes, remove the baking sheet from the oven and turn over all of the sweet potato pieces. Return to the oven and bake for another 10-15 minutes, or until they are well browned. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- Pairs well with steamed asparagus.
Serving size: 1 Calories: 126 Fat: 7g Saturated fat: 1g Carbohydrates: 16g Sugar: 7g Sodium: 896mg Fiber: 2g Protein: 1g
Nutritional values are estimations, not exact values