Cook time: 45 mins
Total time: 45 mins
- 3/4 cup basmati rice
- 1 cup cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 lime
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, part skim
- 1 cup pinto beans
- 1 1/2 cups stock (vegetable broth)
- 1 red chili
- 1 small red onion
- 1 tomato
- 1 yellow pepper
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp flour
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Finely chop the onion, set half aside for the salsa. Finely chop the chili and crush the garlic. Chop 3 Tbsp of cilantro, including the small stalks, set aside. Heat 1 Tbsp of oil, add the onion, garlic and chili, fry until soft. Add the cumin and beans then stir in the flour. Slowly stir in the stock and simmer for 20 minutes. After 15 minutes add 2 Tbsp of chopped cilantro.
- Put the rice on to boil for 20 minutes.
- While the rice is cooking make the salsa. Finely dice half the yellow pepper and tomato. In a bowl mix together the peppers and tomatoes with the remaining chopped red onion and 1 Tbsp of chopped cilantro. Add the juice from half the lime. Season with salt and pepper.
- Grate or finely chop half the mozzarella cheese. Stir the mozzarella into the beans then add the cooked rice and the juice of the other half of the lime.
- Serve the beans and rice with some salsa on the top.
- You can use chicken or vegetable stock for this dish. The stock should be hot before adding to the beans. The remaining pinto beans can be frozen. You can serve the beans on top of the rice rather than mixing them together.
Serving size: 1 Calories: 266 Fat: 9g Saturated fat: 4g Carbohydrates: 34g Sugar: 1g Sodium: 1206mg Fiber: 6g Protein: 14g Cholesterol: 18mg
Nutritional values are estimations, not exact values